Saturday 3 October 2015

Episode 23 - The missed BBQ

Friday cont.

Grant had not been gone for more than a minute when Cleo and Dorothy came back into the office.
"That was great,” said Dorothy, shaking Gary’s hand vigorously. “A lesson in logic,” she added, “ and even better than a 1930s movie!”
Cleo embraced Gary and told him how impressed she was.
“I think it helped to have you two up there listening,” Gary said. “I really needed to put on a good show, though some of it was not really for your ears, Dorothy.”
“Why not, Gary? I know about sex. I could have been indulging in it before you were born.”
“I owe you a hug for that,” said Gary, sweeping Dorothy up in his arms.
“There’s only one thing,” said Cleo. “We don’t know if a second guy came along and finished the job on Ivy. It is possible, isn’t it?”
“I think so too. That would make it parallel to the other hooker murders,” said Gary.
“Or coincidental,” said Cleo. “There’s always a chance that Grant was telling the truth.”
“I’ll have Jake released,” said Gary. “Give me ten minutes to do that and we can drive home. Grant probably did not kill Ivy, but someone did.”
“Are you sure Jake is innocent, Gary? Couldn’t he have stabbed Ivy?” said Cleo.
“I don’t think so. He was in the brothel all night. It was business as usual for him. I don’t think he went anywhere when Ivy was not there,” said Gary.
“What about Loo?” Dorothy asked. “We’re not going back to Upper Grumpsfield today, surely?”
“No. Tomorrow will be the day of reckoning for the two corpulent gentlemen. Can one of you straighten it out with Edith? We can’t possibly get there for a BBQ tonightl.”
“Sure. Edith is having another one next week to be on the safe side. Charlie won’t mind being there and PeggySue will be made a fuss of. Robert will turn up there anyway with the meat and he’ll stay to grill some of it. The kids are probably expecting a garden feast.”
“We should encourage him,” said Dorothy. “ I’ll have to phone to tell him I won’t be home tonight. He’s bound to stay at the vicarage for hours. He hates being on his own.”
“He was on his own for the best part of 30 years, Dorothy.
“So he’d had enough.”
“Hey Ladies. Have I been missing something?”
“It’s a long story, Gary,” said Dorothy.
“I’m curious.”
“I have a hunch that you’ll approve, Gary,” said Dorothy. “But since when have you been wearing that lovely ring, Cleo?”
“Observant as ever, Miss Marple,” Gary commented.
“It’s my engagement ring, Dorothy.”
To Gary’s surprise, Dorothy embraced him.
“If I had the power, I’d bless you both,” said Dorothy.
Vera invited everyone to dinner who was still around that evening, so there was a big reunion and plenty to talk about. It was very late when Cleo and Gary got back to their hotel, but not too late, as Cleo pointed out. Next morning they would have to hurry over breakfast so that they could collect Dorothy earlier than on the previous day.
***
Cleo phoned Edith and asked her if the children could stay there at least until Sunday. They could have that  BBQ tagain following week. Things were hotting up in Frint-on-Sea.
Edith was thrilled. She wasn’t quite sure how she should reveal her own plans to Cleo, but in the end she did.
“Robert phoned last night,” Edith told Cleo. “He sounded quite lonely so I invited him to tea as well as grilling for a small party. Robert said he would bring the meat again when I had a big BBQ grill and I said it would be fun. He couldn’t manage teatime because of the shop, but asked would six o’clock be OK with nice lamb chops, sausages and steaks and I told him the children would all be there and PeggySue and Charlie. I hope you don’t mind, Cleo.  We’ll have a trial BBQ tonight.”
“Why should I mind, Edith?”
“Well, you are still married to Robert.”
“Only on paper, Edith.”
 “Like my marriage,” said Edith.
“Don’t say that. Mr Parsnip has a lot on his plate.”
“He doesn’t care about his family, Cleo.”
“I’m sure he does.”
“What does it matter anyway? He’s been like that for years,” said Edith. “He always wanted to be the shining light in my life. That’s why he resented the children.”
“Oh dear,” said Cleo, not knowing what else to say.
“Don’t worry, Cleo. I’ll get the grill going. Are you sure you can’t be here tonight?”
 We can’t manage it, Edith. We still have work to do here.”
“Oh, but I thought…..”
“I’ve just told you we can’t come. You can have a party without us.”
“What about tomorrow?” said Edith.
“OK. We’ll be there tomorrow evening, Edith. Could you arrange that with Robert?”
“What a good idea,” said Edith. “He’s interested in me, Cleo.”
***
After that phone-call, Cleo’s eyes were sparkling.
“What are you up to? What’s only on paper?”
“My marriage to Robert.”
“Ah,” said Gary. “Now you’re talking.”
“Edith is giving another BBQ tomorrow evening and will get the meat from Robert again, and they’ll have a small party tonight,” said Cleo.  “It was really Dorothy’s idea to get them together and it seems to have snowballed. It has beens high time Edith showed that vicar husband that she’s not tied to him forever. And now she’s actually branching out on her own initiative.”
“This kind of household drama makes crime detection seem trivial. I’ll let you into a secret now, Cleo,” said Gary.
“Go on!”
“Mr Parsnip is planning a missionary trip to darkest Africa.”
“I wonder how Dorothy will react.”
“She told me, “ said Gary. “I got the impression that I was to keep it a secret. Edith is saving up anonymously to send him.”
“Good for her,” said Cleo. “I’m not sure I would trust you with a secret like that.”
“We are as one, my love. That includes sharing and trading secrets.”
“Of course, it might just be some of Dorothy’s wishful thinking. Sometimes she interprets ideas as facts, but if it happens, all the better for Edith’s future. Rita is a no-go personage certain not to want Robert and there aren’t many eligible ladies in the village.”
“Edith is not eligible, Cleo.”
“She will be if Frederick goes off on a wild goose chase, even if he is a century out of date.”
“If that’s what he wants from life, he should go,” said Gary.
“You sound quite nostalgic, Gary.”
“I used to think darkest Africa must be pleasanter than lightest Middlethumpton,” said Gary. “I may be thinking more of myself than him, but as far as I can see, Robert is the ideal partner for Edith whether she is eligible or not. They have my blessing.”
“And I have Edith’s blessing for us,” said Cleo. “I wonder if she has ever viewed Robert with eyes other than those of a vicar’s wife?”
“She does now, Cleo. I’ll lay bets on that.”
“She was always besotted by Robert’s singing, of course, but at the time of that talent show I think she was still emotionally at sixes and sevens with Gareth Morgan.”
“I can’t imagine anyone being besotted with that organist.”
“Well, she  acted like it,” said Cleo.
“Unbelievable.”
“He might have secret charms, or Edith did in the old days,” said Cleo “There must have been something between the Parsnips. Surely you don’t get pregnant three times by accident.”
“The fourth time was when she raped him,” said Gary. “But I can tell you one thing – there will not be a fifth time because the vicar withdrew to a narrow bed in the corner of the bedroom and would have nothing more to do with that side of things.”
“Who told you that?”
“I drew my conclusions from hints Mr Parsnip dropped. He told me the best way to avoid having unwanted kids was to avoid women.”
“I can’t believe that the vicar said anything of the sort to you, Gary.”
“He did when he was warning me against you,” said Gary. “I laughed at him and told him to mind his own business.”
“Are you going to tell me when that conversation took place?”
“Ages ago. He was full of praise that you were marrying Robert. He thought that would put you out of bounds for me.”
“That’s the sort of argument you’d expect from a paragon of virtue, I guess.”
“Did you say that Edith was partial to Gareth Morgan for a time?” Gary asked.
“No I didn’t. Edith was in love with his music. I don’t think she was in love with him.”
“That little jerk doesn’t even wash himself properly. Sprays skunk-like perfume on to disguise the odour.”
“Don’t be so awful, Gary. He thinks he’s a ladies’ man. Edith only loved the organ-playing and supplied him with cake as a reward. Mr Morgan could not decide between Edith and Clare once he set eyes on Clare. Neither of them wanted him, but he didn’t even notice. Poor guy. He has no luck with the ladies.”
“I’m rather glad there’s only one of you,” said Gary. “I don’t think I could cope with two.”
“I don’t think I have a twin, Gary, but we can ask Mother,” said Cleo. “Or ask your mother if you have a twin. I wouldn’t mind having two of you in my bed.”
“I’m shocked, Cleo.”
“Not that you don’t make love for two,” said Cleo.
“I’m not sure how much of a compliment that is,” said Gary.
“But one of you will do for now.”
“I’ll ask Dorothy what she thinks of a union between Edith and Robert,” said Gary, draining his coffee-cup. “I can see that your judgement is temporarily impaired. Drink up! We’re going to leave in five minutes. We need to get back to the hotel before they close the bar.”
“We’ll have to get back to Upper Grumpsfield in time for the BBQ tomorrow.”
“Are you sure you can face Robert?” asked Gary.
“I can face him if you can,” said Cleo.


No comments:

Post a Comment