Saturday 19 September 2015

Episoder 21 - Macpherson


Thursday cont.

Gary and Cleo arrived at Frint-on-Sea police station late on Thursday afternoon. Brass was about to leave. O’Reilly was going to be at the station for a couple more hours. He said it was so that Brass could stop working round the clock.
Gary introduced O’Reilly to Cleo. The Irishman was surprised that Gary had fallen for someone quite so exotic. As usual, Cleo could sense the cop’s discomfort, so she sat down on the nearest chair to indicated that she was only there to listen.
Gary thought O’Reilly might protecting Brass. But why? Was he keeping an eye on him? Did he suspect him of something? Was he protecting himself by searching the office for evidence of some kind?
Gary did not think Brass looked the type for criminal activities. But as Cleo had already said many times, hardly anyone looks like a criminal. We all know or have met at least one murderer, a thief or two, and probably several wife-beaters and child-abusers, some of whom will have been family.
“Brass can start in Middlethumpton from next week, O’Reilly,” Gary said.
“That’s fine by me,” said O’Reilly, who thought it possible that Brass might be shielding Llewellyn in some way, though he would never have accused a colleague of inappropriate behaviour.
Brass was surprised that O’Reilly had fallen in with Gary’s plans so meekly, but refrained from asking any questions.
“This station is probably closing down at the weekend except for a security guard until we get the equipment taken away,” said O’Reilly.
“I didn’t know that. What about Sergeant Llewellyn?” said Brass.
“We’ll deal with him,” said O’Reilly.
"I'll be off then," said the constable, and left, winking at Cleo as he did so. He was clearly not going to hang around with his move to Middlethumpton needing organization.
Brass had not known that Gary had already discussed the possibility of a transfer for Brass with O’Reilly and the timing of his move had up to now been vague. But closing the station down would be a good way of getting rid of Llewellyn even if no crime could be pinned on him. Going to Middlethumpton would be a good move for Brass, who might otherwise have been subject to bullying or worse by Sergeant Llewellyn.
“Do you know where Llewellyn could be?” Gary asked.
“We’re trailing him,” said O’Reilly.
“In this town?”
“He’s very friendly with the Town Clerk and we think he could have been camping out in Macpherson’s garden shed,” said O’Reilly.
“And your Town Clerk did nothing about it?” asked Gary.
“He isn’t mine,” said O’Reilly.”
“I did not mean that literally,” said Gary, wondering if being a cop in Frint-on-Sea entailed being unaware of quite normal repartee.
“We would not have known anything had Mr Macpherson’s wife not reported the theft of some potatoes and greens from their garden. Then we put two and two together.”
Amazing detective work, thought Cleo, who had been observing silently up to then for want of something relevant to say.
“In other words, our fat sergeant has been on a vegetarian diet,” she now said. They coud all see the funny side of the situation. “Or are you simply assuming that the guy hid there, Mr O’Reilly?”
“There’s running water in that garden for watering the plants and washing hands,” said O’Reilly, “and even an outside toilet built into th house.”
“All mod cons, in fact,” said Cleo. “That’s almost like coming home if you’ve lodged in some scruffy tenement flat.”
“So why didn’t you check the location and pull him in immediately?” Gary wanted to know.
“We went there but did not find anybody.”
“It all sounds a bit vague,” said Cleo, who was not bound by the professional niceties between cops.
“We have no conclusive evidence that the sergeant had ever  been there,” said O’Reilly.”Anyone can steal vegetables.”
“What about forensics?”
“That shed is in the queue,” said O’Reilly.
“So maybe he really hasn’t been there,” said Cleo. “A bit of a problem, isn’t it?”
“Cleo, don’t make things more difficult for O’Reilly. You can see that he’s quite puzzled about the situation,” said Gary because he thought he should defend a colleague. Cleo could be very direct when she felt like it, though Gary had to admit that it was usually justified.
“I admit that it’s puzzling,” said Cleo, “ but the real mystery is that Mrs Macpherson would report a few missing potatoes at all when it could mean trouble for her husband. The Town Hall sleaze can’t have completely escaped her notice.”
“She knew someone must have slept in the shed because some old blankets and a pumped up air bed were left on the floor, but the Macphersons did not actually see anyone,” said O’Reilly.
“The Town Clerk must be in the know about the Town Hall sleaze even if he is innocent, “Cleo said, determined to pursue the line of questioning that  Gary was avoiding. “Are you aware of any of the goings-on?”
O’Reilly looked decidedly uncomfortable. Dorothy would have said he had guilt written all over his face.
“Let’s recapitulate,” said Gary. “It is possible that the sergeant camped in the shed with or without the Macphersons’ knowledge.”
“Of course, Macpherson may not have realised that Llewellyn is a wanted man and the guy would be unlikely to tell on himself,” said Cleo.
“That’s what I mean,” said O’Reilly, glad that Cleo had put that into words.
“Did you tell Macpherson that Sergeant Llewellyn is a suspect?“ Gary asked.
“Not in so many words,” replied O’Reilly.
“So it’s possible that he already knew, isn’t it?” said Cleo. “That changes the situation drastically Mr O’Reilly. It makes the  Macphersons accomplices.”
At that moment, Brass came back. He had forgotten his house keys, he said.
“Here they are,” he mimed, reaching to under a cupboard and ostensibly retrieving the keys. Cleo surmised that he had returned to check what O’Reilly was doing and not expected to find them still there.
“Of course, the business about the stolen vegetables could have been a cry for help from the Town Clerk talking through his wife,” said Cleo. “Maybe he knew that the game was up.”
“What game, Miss Hartley?” Brass wanted to know.
“The game of Town Hall sleaze, Brass,” said Cleo.
“I didn’t know it was a game,” said Brass. “Some game to have local politicians cheating tax-payers and feathering their own nests.”
“So you know about it , do you ? said Gary, wondering if Brass should move to Middlethumpton right now.
“So where could Llewellyn be?” Cleo asked.
“Anywhere, Miss Hartley,” said O’Reilly.
“Is Llewellyn enjoying protection?” Gary asked, and both O’Reilly and Brass looked guilty.
“I’m trying to think what I would do if I’d been hiding in a garden shed,” said Cleo. “Let’s see! He probably went home to take a bath. Or had the Macphersons let him use the bathtub? In that case, would they have complained about their loss of vegetables?””
“Whatever he’s up to, he’s got a bloody nerve, leading everyone a dance,” said Brass.
“Macpherson is Scottish,” said O’Reilly out of the blue.
“You’re Irish, Mr O’Reilly,” said Cleo. “What difference does it make? ”
“The UK is well-represented here,” said Gary.
“I’ve never been to Ireland, Miss Hartley. My grandparents came over to work after the war - from Eire, not Northern Ireland.”
Gary grinned at Cleo. Wasn’t that his explanation of how the guy got to the UK?
“If you haven’t already done so, you should look into Mr Macpherson’s extramural activities,” said Gary. “We might find the answers there.”
“We haven’t done that, but we will,” said O’Reilly. “Up to now it has been a no-go area.”
“I’ll bet it has,” said Gary, wondering if O’Reilly was now trying to hide his ’turning a blind eye’, assuming he wasn’t actively mixed up in the sleaze. Of course, he could have been paid to keep off the grass. Sleaze only functions if no one pokes their nose in.”
“So where could Llewellyn be?” Cleo repeated, hoping that O’Reily would now say something useful.”
“As you suggested, he’s probably back at his lodgings, Miss Hartley. We were waiting for Mr Hurley’s instructions,” O’Reilly now improvised. ”There’s a guard on. He can’t come or go without us knowing.”
“Why am I hearing all this for the first time, O’Reilly?” said Gary.
“He could climb out of a window and escape that way,” suggested Cleo.
“He’d have to scale down two flights, Miss Hartley. He lives on the second floor in a renovated loft.”
“So he gets out via the roof,” said Cleo.
O’Reilly turned pale.
“I never thought of that,” he said.
“I want Llewellyn arrested and brought in,” said Gary.
He’d heard enough of O’Reilly’s nonsense. Why had he thought the guy was cooperative?
“I think Miss Hartley and I need a breath of fresh air now after our long drive,” said Gary. “We’ll be here at nine tomorrow morning and I expect to be able to question Sergeant Llewellyn, Jake, and Dr Smith her or at Headquarters. You can tell me where at 8:30 in the morning on my mobile phone.”
“Yes, Sir,” said O’Reilly, his authority now completely quashed.
“Here’s my card, OReilly, and  Brass, we’ll discuss your new job again after I’ve talked to those suspects. Arrange for your children to be looked after here. We’ll sort out somewhere for you all to live when you move permanently. Your salary will be paid from the first of this month, by the way.”
“Thank you, Gary,” said Brass.
“Let’s go, Cleo. See you both tomorrow morning,” said Gary.
***
“I’ll just phone Wetherby and postpone our meeting until tomorrow, Gary.”
“Make it early. We need to get to that BBQ at Edith’s, Cleo.”
“Is it tomorrow? I thought it was next week. I’d better ckeck.”
A short phone-call to Edith confirmed the BBQ for the next two Fridays. Apparently, Edith wanted to make sure of Robert’s attendance.
“But he’s bound to be there, Edith,” Cleo had said. “He’s supplying the meat, isn’t he?”
Gary just shook his head when Cleo repeated what Edith had said.
“She’s gone over the top,” he commented. “Breaking free of Frederick Parsnip has gone to her head.”
***
Cleo knew where Gary wanted to go next on that Thursday evening. They stood side by side at the spot where they had embraced on that beach. Frint-on-Sea was not Miami, but that was immaterial. Standing side by side at the water’s edge holding hands was like coming home.
“I feel like repeating what you said that Sunday afternoon,” said Gary. “To remind you of how quickly a woman can make up her mind when she has to. I could not believe that I’d actually had the courage to say something I’d been storing up ever since we met.“
“I should have said something. It’s OK for a woman to take the initiative these days.”
“I had noticed,” said Gary, looking into the distance. Cleo thought he was blushing.
“I thought you approved,” said Cleo.
“I did and I do, Cleo. I was horrified when you looked like choosing your marriage to a guy you no longer wanted. Then I realized that you didn’t really mean it. It might have been that kiss.”
”What kiss?”
“You brushed my cheek before you moved away. Like this.” Gary repeated the gesture. “That’s when I knew you felt the same.”
“That’s when I knew for sure that I felt the same, Gary.”
Cleo hesitated. She was going through a kind of emotional striptease yet again. They were now paddling in the shallow water at the edge of the tide, shoes under their free arms.
“Go on, Cleo. Finish what you want to say. I’m listening.”
“I was shocked at myself for succumbing so easily to my emotions. I know people can change their attitude suddenly, but I did not think I was one of them and I didn’t think you had noticed that kiss because you didn’t respond to it immediately.”
“I was too surprised,” said Gary.
“I was surprised at myself. I thought you might think me promiscuous.”
“You are if I’m not fast enough,” said Gary.
They walked back to above the tide mark.
“We need to be on dry land, Cleo,” said Gary. “The sandbanks are notorious here.”
“When I told you Robert was still the man in my life, you looked devastated. You had told me you were in love with me and I was going on about the man in my life being Robert. I’m so sorry I said that, and worse still, it was a lie because I already knew that you are the man in my life and had been for a long time. I’d been denying that to myself – and to Dorothy whenever she broached the subject.”
“What has Dorothy got to do with it?”
“She was protecting me. She thought Robert was my best bet.”
“I hope she’s changed her mind.”
“Would it make a difference?” said Cleo.
“Not to me,” said Gary.
“To me neither,” said Cleo.
“I’m glad we’re discussing things,” said Gary. “I want to write about it in my journal, but I want to be truthful.”
“I didn’t know you kept a journal, Gary.”
“There are so many things we still have to find out about one another,” he said. “One night stands were definitely not the answer.”
Looking at Gary now, she realized how vulnerable he really was.
“The psychiatrist at the clinic told me I should give up doing a job that distressed me, do what I always dreamt of doing, and not least make more of an effort to be with someone who cared about me. I thought that was pie in the sky, but it was true. My burnout days are over, Cleo, and I have you to thank for that.”
“But you are enjoying the battle cries here, aren’t you?”
“Mainly because you are with me.”
“So what did you always want to do?”
“Write. Escape from reality for some of the time. Invent people. Kill them off if I want to. Make friends with some of them.”
“Wow.”
“Now I know I can do that if I want to, but I don’t want to escape from the reality we have together.”
“I’ve had to learn to make time for things I want to do. If you want to write, you must do that now, Gary.”
“I will. That’s a promise.”
“I phoned a lawyer yesterday,” said Cleo. “He’s getting my divorce papers sorted out. However long it takes, we are in this life together.”
“On a practical level, if we are going to have more children we’ll have to move into something bigger,” said Gary.
“I’ve thought of that. This baby bump is yours, after all.”
“Another reason to indulge in a hug, my love,” said Gary.
“I phoned an architect yesterday, too,” said Cleo. “He’ll inspect the cottage at the weekend, draw up plans and we’ll get planning permission to add a couple of rooms onto the back and enlarge the front rooms.”
“You did that?”
“A woman of my age has to make that kind of decision pretty fast, Gary. I want a big family, if you can live with that idea.”
***
“I’m overjoyed. I want to go on talking about us, but we must talk about tomorrow’s interviews, Cleo. If we get that over with, we can relax at the hotel and forget business for today, not that there’s much of today left over.”
“I could use a little supper,” said Cleo.
“There’s always room service,” said Gary.
“Or we could go to that chip shop near the brothel and eat there. I think I’d like it better than eating with the regular eaters in the hotel restaurant,” said Cleo. “And who knows? Those chippy guys might have something to say about the customers from the brothel, or one of the girls might be there. They have to eat, too.”
“Cleo, you should have been a cop.”
“Being in love with a cop is the next best thing, and you have a private sleuth at your beck and call.”
“Ouch for that, Cleo. Let’s get moving.”
“Your wish is my command, Sweetheart.”
***
Cleo and Gary  went to the chip shop, ordered fish and chips and learnt a bit about the goings-on at the brothel. Nothing spectacular happened there any more. The neighbours had tried to get the place banned and someone –who was never detected – had once thrown a Molotov cocktail through a window. The chip shop owner thought some of the clients were local politicians. That would explain why the place was tolerated. Apart from a small red light that blinked from a downstairs window when it was dark, there was no indication of what went on in that house.
***
Ivy Frobisher had not been a  typical brothel proprietor, but she had made plenty of money out of her enterprise. She had treated the girls well and they were all sorry she was dead. They did not want to work for Jake, even if he had not killed Ivy. They had heard him quarelling with Ivy, but they either didn’t know why, or were not telling.
There is a limit to loyalty, Gary mused. The girls did not want the same thing to happen to them as had happened to other women in the sex trade. They now had the examples of Susie Sweet and Ivy to increase their anxiety.
The chip-shop guy had introduced salads and wine to his menu so that wealthier clients could eat what they were used to. The girls were crazy about his salads, but one or two of the regulars had preferred chips. When asked if that included Sergeant Llewellyn, the answer was yes. When had they last seen him at the chip shop? The night before Susie Sweet was found dead, when Double EL had ordered his usual double chips and cod, while Susie Sweet had preferred rock salmon and a single portion of chips. That corresponded to what was in the report. Could the sergeant have killed the hooker? No. Never. He wasn’t the type.
***
What is the type? Cleo was haunted by the knowledge that human beings did not look on the outside how they were on the inside. Beauty could conceal devilment. That had be proven time and time again. Cleo’s thesis had been written on the theme of identifying perpetrators. Who actually looked like a murderer, a drug dealer or a paedophile? Her inevitable conclusion was that barring visual symptoms of drug-addiction etc. there was no special look about a person who committed a crime. For example, if they were guaranteed not to be found out, many seemingly respectable people would kill at least one person they knew.
***
Sergeant Llewellyn remained high on the list of suspects. In fact, to all intents and purposes he was the only suspect in the Susie Sweet case. His motive was unknown.
“What if there really were two murderers?” said Cleo over their chips. “Supposing someone passed that beachhut and saw the door open, went inside and found Susan Smart injured, and then killed her because he saw that she had seen him and might accuse him of trying to kill her.”
Gary thought that the involvement of two assassins was possible.
“After all. she was not dead after being throttled,” he confirmed. “The postmortem stated quite plainly that the blow on the head had caused a massive brain haemorrhage soon after and killed the young woman. Let’s hope we can get a confession from that sergeant.”
“If he left her alive, it would open up a whole spectrum of possibilities, wouldn’t it?”
“Wine?”
“More water for me. You don’t want to discuss this here, do you? “ said Cleo.
“Not now and not over wine that tastes like a cross between vinegar and that rosy cheek blackcurrant stuff you give infants to drink. Let’s wait and see what Llewellyn has to say, assuming they catch up with him.”
Cleo had to agree that a discussion of the finer points of a killing was not really a good idea in such ambience. Even fish and chips eaten in a tacky restaurant and washed down with cheap, sour plonkor chlorinated water had to be eaten with some degree of enjoyment.
Gary suggested that they go back to the hotel and order a bottle of something drinkable to wash away the chip shop plonk.
“I’d better not have any alcohol,” said Cleo. “I really should not have drunk that thimble full, except that it might help neutralize the chip fat.”
“We’ll make it coffee then, my love, with due respect to your baby bump.”
“I don’t really have one yet,” said Cleo.
“But I do,” said Gary. “Expectant fathers have to watch their alcohol levels, too!”
***
Someone must have warned Macpherson that he was in danger of his business deals being revealed for what they were.
At five he left his office, taking with him a file containing some quite prickly details about a contract leasing a stretch of promenade to an Arab consortium. The deal was to be effected with the aid of massive bribes to various members of the town council, including himself of course. They would be approached separately to give each of them the impression that they were working alone. This would be engineered with the administrative shrewdness of Mr Macpherson, who was extremely adept at cooking the books after years of practice.
***
The only people to know about that particular deal were supposedly those immediately involved. Macpherson was leading the pack and he sensed that someone might want to destroy his hard work, so he was especially wary, though he did not suspect anyone in particular. It wasn’t the first deal of that kind. Discretion was essential. Everyone involved and likely to benefit was aware of the danger.
Macpherson planned to quit as soon as his legacy came through after the death of a very aged relative. But first he would use his official  business connections to secure a good private deal on a house or small farm well away from Frint-on-Sea, and then he would simply take early retirement on health grounds. It was easy enough to get a doctor to sign the necessary document.
Filled with foreboding that may have been triggered by Llewellyn’s behaviour, Macpherson changed his mind about going home when everyone else did, went back into his office and spent several hours making precautionary phone calls and transferring non-documented funds to a Swiss bank account that had been useful in the past. The project in hand between the town and investors who were new on the scene and extremely generous was now fixed and his cut was generous to a fault. At about 9 o’clock he was ready to go home. The Town Hall was unoccupied except for the night porter.
***
Macpherson got into his car, realized he had left his mobile phone in his office, and went to get it. He did not notice anything out of the ordinary. He would enjoy a couple of drinks of the excellent whisky he kept in an office cupboard and, being a law-abiding don’t drink and drive citizen, walk home. He was more scrupulous about his drink and drive principles than about the thou-shalt-not-steal concept. He had parked his car as usual where there was no street lighting. He was not in a hurry. He paused to smoke a cigarette before going into towards the office block He was also pernickety about no-smoking signs.
Then there was an explosion. Someone had put a bomb under his car and possibly detonated it by remote control if. Fortunately for Mr Macpherson, the person responsible for that bomb had not seen him get out of his car. Macpherson had escaped purely by chance. Some office windows were shattered from the blast and neighbouring cars were damaged. Macpherson did not look back. He would stroll into town without his mobile and get a drink somewhere before going home. Fire officers were prevented from approaching for some minutes as Macpherson’s car burnt out. They were also held back by the fear that there might be a second bomb somewhere waiting to be detonated. When they finally got to the car, they discovered that there was no one in it.
“I expect they’ll have another bash,” said one fire fighter to another. “Pity about the nice car, though.”
“There’s briefcase on the front passenger seat. Fireproofed, I see. We’d better take it with us before someone else does.”
“The driver must have forgotten to take it with him, or did he have something else in mind when he left it?”
“Ask me another.”
“It’s locked.”
“Then someone will claim it.”
“The car numberplate’s readable.”
“So we could give it back privately. There’ll be a reward.”
“It’s worth a try.”
“That’s dishonest.”
“Pinching a kid’s breakfast box is dishonest. Keep it in proportion.”
***
So Macpherson’s fears had not been a figment of his imagination. His first thought was of the phone calls he should make.
Who had known he was working late? Someone must have seen him leave his office. How else could the timing of the bomb detonation have been controlled? The police would be forced to investigate, if only because the tabloids would report the incident in full. Suspicion would first fall on the night porter. Was he being well-paid for notifying someone that he had left the building? That would exoplain that he was disconcerted when Macpherson returbed shortly after leaving. By the time the police checked the town hall building, the porter had left. The possibility that the bomb was meant only for Macpherson’s car had to be considered, of course, but why blow up only Macpherson’s car? He wasn’t the only one mixed up in the sleaze.
Macpherson knew that the explosion had been aimed at him since it was his car that had been blown to smithereens while the cars of colleagues were still parked while they persued other activities in town. He was unlikely to admit that because questions would be asked as to why he should be a target. He would have to keep a low profile.
***
Macpherson returned to the town hall after all, entered by way of a rear fire door, and retrieved his mobile phone.  There was a message on it, warning him of a bomb. The police would have to decide if that message was sent before or after the detonation. Macpherson  left the Town Hall unnoticed because a crowd of anxious onlookers had already formed. He would skip the pub and go home. The police would discover whose car had been damaged and phone him. He would feign surprise. He could order an official car and hire a private bodyguard next morning. The town would pay for the car. Bribes from the foreign entrepreneurs were generous and regular so paying for a bodyguard was no problem.
But one thing worried Macpherson more than anything else. He had left his briefcase in the car and he needed it. Not only that, but outsiders should get their hands on it.
***
The patch of promenade now being leased was not the first. Further down the promenade, the same entrepreneurs had built a lucrative casino thanks to the land provided by Macpherson. Cobblethwaite, the Mayor, had granted a licence in exchange for a clandestine cut of the profits. He could be relied on to repeat the favour.
One hand was simply washing the other, he was quoted as having said. It was in the interests of the town. Rates could be kept down. Everyone would profit from the deal. Red tape was reserved on principle for those who could not afford bribes. No one complained out loud because everyone who had anything to say was sure to benefit from the deal one way or another. Cobblethwaite did not mention his bribe. received over and above the donation to the town building programme, of course. He had ideas for a big indoor swimming-pool and a monument to his mayorship. It would be called ‘Cobblethwaite’s Big Swim’. Tenders for further chunks of the promenade would include that one for that swimming-pool. Cobblethwaite congratulated himself on his busness shrewdness.
***
Macpherson did not wait in vain for a phonecall to say his briefcase was in safe hands. Did he want it back? At a price, he was told. How much? Fifty thousand. He was given instructions for the exchange. It would go through and everyone would be happy. Macpherson knew of a cop who would see the exchange through and he had plenty of cash in his safe. Two firefighters fewer was the price of his briefcase. Llewellyn could keep the change.
***
Cleo and Gary had not been back in their hotel room for more than an hour when they heard the explosion. Cleo commented that everyone in the town seemed to have an axe to grind, but knowing something and proving it is not the same thing. A bomb was the last thing they expected. On the other hand, doing deals with crooks is a dangerous game. 
“Blast,” said Gary.
“Yes it was,” said Cleo, generating the pun. “Are we going to investigate or stay here?”
“We won’t go anywhere unless you insist, Cleo. I’m really not in the mood for police work now. I want to be with you.”
“I thought you’d be curious.”
“I am, but O’Reilly can cope and I can step in tomorrow if necessary. It might be someone’s gas installation. It doesn’t have to be a bomb.”
“Something tells me that it was, but we’ll find out soon enough, no doubt.”
“Meanwhile, let’s carry on where we left off when we were so rudely interrupted.”
“If you aren’t too tired, Gary.”
“I’m only tired of being a cop. I’m not tired of anything else.”
“That’s OK then.”
***
But it wasn’t.
The phone rang. It was Brass.
“There’s been a bomb scare,” he reported.
“We heard something. It woke us.”
“Oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t know you were in bed.”
“Use your imagination again, Brass.”
Brass scraped his throat.
“Well, Sir, the Town Clerk’s car has been blown up.”
“Was he in it?”
“Fortunately not.”
“Then good night!”
“Don’t you want to view the damage, Gary?”
“No. I think I should leave the bomb to O’Reilly and get on with life before your phone call.”
“I understand, Sir.”
There was no mistaking the innuendo in Brass’s voice.
“You can report in detail tomorrow morning, Brass. Thanks for phoning. Good night!”
“Yes Gary. And erm……sleep well.”
***
Brass rang off.  You don’t usually tell your future boss to sleep well, but he expected Gary to know what he meant.
***
“That blast was a bomb after all,” said Gary.
“I thought so. I expect Brass wants you to go there.”
“He does,” said Gary.
“But you were about to get on with your life, I think I heard you say.”
“Poor Brass. I think he was embarrassed. He told me to sleep well.”
“He thinks he disturbed our sex life, Gary.”
“He did – but only for the duration of that phone call.”
“I’ll pick up the phone next time it rings.”
“It won’t. I’m going to pull the plug on it.”
***
The difference between that emotionally charged hotel night a week or so earlier and this night in the same room at the same hotel was that though they were more emotionally involved than ever, their relationship also seemed to have existed forever. Gary could not believe that his waiting for Cleo was at an end, and Cleo could not believe that she had thrown caution to the wind and gone where her heart led her.
“Life’s good to us,” she said sometime in the early hours.
“Life’s perfect,” replied Gary. “You will marry me, won’t you?”
“We’re courting and engaged. What are you nervous about? You know how I feel about you.”
“I can’t believe it’s all happening.”
“Just come nearer and I’ll reassure you.”
“That’s an offer I can’t refuse,” said Gary.
“I’d be sad and more than a little surprised if you did.”


No comments:

Post a Comment